Action Photos
The Manchester Grammar School 1st XV vs  Calday Grange Grammar School
On: Saturday, 09 Sep 2017
Venue: Away

An entertaining and enthralling start to the new season saw MGS beat a well organised and physical Calday Grange team with the last play of the game.

Calday came out of the blocks quickly and their strong centres and number 8 were causing problems all over the pitch. A couple of missed tackles from inside the opposition 22 led to The first linebreak and after some good interplay between backs and forwards they scored an unconverted try in the corner. MGS responded well, Sam Frank was orchestrating play well from Fly half, the forwards started to get on top with strong carries from Shovlin, Golding and Meir and we were rewarded with an excellent try from a catch and drive lineout which Jacob Shovlin finished well.

Caldy caught us napping again midway through the half after a poor kick chase but Luke Farquharson scored one of his trademark poachers try with a lovely show and go just before the interval and with Luke McCreath adding the extras we reached half time all square at 12-12.

As the second half got underway, MGS were already playing into a stiff breeze, the weather decided to take a turn for the worse and driving rain was now the order of the day. Caldy used the conditions well to score in the corner, but again MGS came back and after some excellent forward drives Charlie Parker crashed over from short range to tie things up again 17-17.

As the weather gradually deteriorated so did some of the quality, both teams were guilty of making handling mistakes, the ball became like a bar of soap and it became really difficult to string together any passages of play as defences dominated. Caldy themselves went over from a lineout with 8 minutes left to play which everyone thought had probably won them the match, but an inspired break from Tomek Pozniak from inside his own half 60 secs from the end led to some frantic defending from the hosts and Harry Meir bulldozing his way over to leave a testing conversion to win the game. No nerves from Luke McCeath as he duly accepted the pressure kick and MGS led. There was only time for a last play from the kick off so just catch the ball was the order of the day and boot it off....... that's not MGS style, we dropped the ball, even though the kick never went ten metres, and then spent the next minute defending for our lives as Caldy threw the kitchen sink at us. Elliott Gourlay then came to the rescue with a thumping tackle to force a knock on and enabled us to get the ball off the field.

A fantastic gutsy performance which should give the team some confidence going into a tough game next Friday against Stockport GS, plenty to work on going forward but a wins a win.